What you'll need to know about a share:
What to expect from your Blandford Farm CSA share:
- CSA Shares are available to Blanford Members for a cost of $475
- The CSA season is 22 weeks long from the beginning of June until the end of October.
- Each week you will receive a share of the week's harvested produce.
- Pick up is located at the farm.
- Pick up time is between 4PM and 6:30PM every Tuesday.
What not to expect from your share:
- All produce you receive is chemical free and grown sustainably.
- Each week with your produce share, you will receive a newsletter which will include an update on how things are growing on the farm, a list of the vegetables you should expect this week, and a recipe or two.
- The farm will host a few events during the year for CSA members. Some of the events will be opportunities to get to know your farmer and your fellow CSA members while others will be an opportunity to help on the farm with other CSA members.
- There will be some vegetables that you will be u-pick. They include peas, beans, cherry tomatoes, and a few others.
- The same amount of produce every week and every year. Farming is never a sure thing. Unfavorable weather such as hail, flood, wind, and frost can have a severely negative effect on the productivity of crops in a given season. We do our best to offer a fair exchange for the price of the CSA, but the unexpected can happen.
- Produce that always looks like what you would find in stores such as Meijer. The produce you will receive will be fresher and will probably taste better, however, since we are growing our vegetables with no pesticides you may find evidence of insects. Holes on kale leaves and cabbages are normal, bugs get hungry too.
Frequently asked questions about the Blandford CSA
- What can I expect in my share each week?
- It depends on the time of year as different vegetables are in season at different times of the year. Here are some examples of what you would expect at different times of the year.
- June - Bok choy, mixed greens, head lettuce, radishes, green onions, cilantro, turnips, and kolrabi
- September - Beets, Celery, Mini Cabbage, carrots, swiss chard, kale, arugula, green onions, tomatoes, peppers, egg plant, basil, cucumbers, and summer squash.
- October - Winter Squash, lettuce, Kale, Cabbage, Brussels Sprouts, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Beets, Collard Greens, and Radishes.
- How much should I expect in each share?
- Each share contains aims to supply enough vegetables for a family of 4 each week. However, depending the time of the season or the amount of vegetables your family is used to eating, you may find the amount you receive more or less then your normal consumption of vegetables.
- Can I split a share with a friend?
- You sure can! We do not offer half shares, but if you feel that you cannot use a full share then we encourage you to find a friend to split a share with.
- What if I cannot come to a pick up in certain week?
- Ask a friend or a family member to pick it up for you, just let us know when they come so we don't think a stranger is taking your food. If you are unable to have some one else pick up your food, the produce will be donated to a local food bank.